The Crownlands

Page 5 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 16  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Crownlands

Post by Tyler Durden on Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:54 am

IC:

Aelix could have tested his footing, tried to take a step out of the tent and drag his sweet sister behind him, or he could have shrugged his sister off and slipped somewhere else in the complex around Rosby. He could have even turned aroun and let his sister get a small taste of the latent frustration and wrath he'd been bottling up since his departure from Dragonstone and observation of the forces he'd been left by Aegon. Had it been Beric Goldenstag, or one of the real lords of the Crownlands, or even Rhaenys, he probably would have. But this was his sister. His blood and his flesh. Everything that mattered.

So he turned around in her arms and hugged her back, brushing his lips gently in front of her ear, pushing her hair away and kissing her softly on the cheek.

"It's just a game," he said, obviously still hurt at the sting. "You're my other half. When I...when I say something to you, I mean it. You know I mean it."

Tyler Durden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Snarkily Glorious on Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:18 pm

IC:

"I think I'm much too small in bearing to be your other half, but perhaps your sword arm." She replied in a rare moment of wry wit, resting a hand on his back. "And you're right, I do know."

"But as my only friend, you're also the only target for my occasional outbursts. Which is no excuse, but true nonetheless."

The Snarkily Glorious

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyler Durden on Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:39 pm

IC:

"It's not the worst, as excuses go," he consoled her with a wry flip of one corner of his mouth. "It lacks luster, yes, but I've heard much worse from people in positions far above yours."

His thumbs brushed against the corners of her mouth as he looked down at her and smiled again, hugging tightly before putting a hand against the tent.

"I have to go look for someone. I won't be gone long."

Tyler Durden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dovydas on Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:12 pm

Beric did not like frequenting brothels. There was a part of Beric that concealed a vast amount of general disdain, or at least disinterest, in sex entirely, and he had an almost utilitarian attitude towards it, engaging in any sort of adult relations only after lengthy dry spells and only to calm his nerves.

So when his two bodyguards politely requested that he let them visit the temporary whorehouse the camp followers had set up, he absentmindedly settled into a position of politely and more or less disinterestedly chatting just outside the whore-tent with a dark-haired Valewoman hooker who turned out to be an excellent conversation partner. Surprisingly informative about a lot of lords. They really should've watched more carefully what things they said in bed.

As Aelix approached and entered Beric's field of vision, the Stormlander gave the Targaryen a curt nod that said, more or less, "I have this sneaking suspicion you're looking for me."
Dovydas
Admin

View user profile http://ygritteforever.forumotion.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyler Durden on Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:22 pm

IC:

Aelix walked past Beric without returned acknowledgement and crouched down in front of the Valewoman, winking at her knowingly and pressing a couple golden dragons into her hand. She looked over at Beric and then slid the hand carrying the coins up to the hem of Aelix's collar, but his hand slid fluidly up to hers and clenched around it.

"I'm sorry," he said softly, with more than a hint of genuine regret as he smiled at her. "The dragons are for deriving you of your conversation partner. I need to steal him from you."

She looked over at Beric and then Aelix again and smiled a little wider, nodding and slipping back into the tent with a little wave at both of them. Aelix stood up gracefully, belying the commanding note which rang at first in his resumed walk. "Come," his march said in reply to Beric's curt greeting, "follow me, and make it quick."

They advanced wordlessly through Rosby, Aelix passing through crowds of soldiers and sellswords and even nobles as though he were a ghost; people nodded their respect, smiled, whistled, and a few even muttered about the spectacle at the training grounds hours before, but no one made any move to stop him. Beric, however, was bumped around and nearly lost sight of the dragon before him. When he finally stumbled into the command tent from earlier, Aelix was sitting in the chair that had been used by his aunt Rhaenys, feet kicked up onto the table and hair swept along one violet eye as he smirked and gestured for his guest to sit. Aside from his looks, the chair didn't quite seem to match him; he was still wearing his scarlet-and-black riding gear from the day's ride.

"What game are you playing, bastard?" he asked as Beric sat. Because I can play it better.

Tyler Durden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dovydas on Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:40 pm

Beric's eyes narrowed at the word "bastard", fixating upon countering Aelix's gaze. Storm did not quite reach for his sword, but for all intents and purposes, he could feel the weapon's proximity to his person. Feel it whispering to him, tantalizing and seductive. This, however, called for patience, and another weapon.

"I don't suppose you'll win much by knowing the answer to that question. The answer isn't difficult, Targaryen."

A glint of a smile swept across his frown, and his eyes glimmered with a flame.

"I want my birthright."
Dovydas
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyler Durden on Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:04 pm

IC:

Aelix had won more than Beric knew; the answer wasn't difficult at all, but now Beric had come forth and said it, which meant that Aelix could grant his whim or shut it down just as easily. Both men at the table knew that the Stormlands would come easy enough, and in due time, even if Storm's End wouldn't. Both men knew that Beric's father would never yield to the Targaryen forces unless he was promised something equal or greater than his title as Storm King, and both men knew that the Targaryens weren't in a giving mood. Someone had to fill Argilac's void, and Beric, being a bastard, had no chance in the seven hells.

Without Aelix.

"Your loyalty comes with quite the price affixed," he said coolly, playing along.

Tyler Durden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dovydas on Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:15 pm

"That is, however, the only price I'll take. You'll find I've virtually no use hanging around this camp of yours otherwise. Aegon has muttered a few unconvincing words about how he'll consider the idea and seems eager to brush thinking about it away to a later date, but the truth of the matter is that the Stormlands will only bow to a Stormlander of the faith of the Seven and of the blood of the Durrendon kings."

Again, his eyes glimmered, this time with a bit of pride.

"I could leave this camp. Forget this idea of working with you Targaryens. One might argue it would be far more effective for me to try to warm up to my father and sneak a legitimation out of him - though, of course, he'd never agree to betraying his beloved daughter Argella - or to try to win Stormlander lords over to my side, to assassinate my father, to support my claim in spite of Argella being the legal heir. But it so happens that I would prefer not to win a throne just to fight to retain it against a new enemy. And so I am here, in this camp. My loyalty, as I've said to Aegon only a few days back in the shack he calls a future capital, depends on that price you speak of. Without the price, there is no use for my loyalty."
Dovydas
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyler Durden on Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:31 am

IC:

"Without proof of your loyalty, why would I pay the price?" Aelix shot back stoically. "We fight a war for seven kingdoms, each with their own strengths, own armies, and own leaders with unique takes on our claims. Giving one away would defeat the very aim of our arrival here. Besides. Rumor is your father's sent a rather generous marriage proposal for your sister's hand to Aegon himself. Aegon already has two wives, and in case you haven't noticed most men wouldn't particularly mind fucking either of them. A third cunt to juggle would be a bit of a hassle, I'm sure you'd agree. So maybe Aegon sends a counteroffer for, say, Daemon Velaryon's hand. His family's been warring for control of the outskirts of your lands for years, and I'm sure he'd be quite enthralled with them, even if he's not so enthralled with dear Argella. Or we could offer the hand of Orys Baratheon, he's of Targaryen blood, a handsome man, good and true. Maybe even me. I imagine it would get under your skin a little to have your birthright stolen from you by a white-headed shit who hopped off the boat from Dragonstone at the wrong time."

Beric's eyes weren't so sparkly now.

"Any child of a union with your sister and one of our inner circle would have the blood of the Durrendon kings, and we would have a trueborn Durrendon to support the claim. Or, yes, you could lead a civil war in the Stormlands, and meanwhile Rhaenys' forces will keep advancing, eating up the lands and forces of what lords bent the knee to you, and then at last we would fall on what remained of your forces and the forces of your father, and we would absorb you as well, and nothing would have changed except you'd be die a traitorous bastard and your father would either die a king or live on as Lord of the Stormlands. Your name in the history texts would be as inconsequential as the seed in your mother's cunt that put your ass in this seat on this night. But you're a man of thinking. Reason.  I'm sure you just deplore those odds."

"You've three dragons, Targaryen. Three dragons. I'm not counting this excuse of an army you've got here, because frankly, if not for your dragons, that army would not have seized Rosby, let alone Storm's End. Sure. You can, if you like, burn everything, scorch the land, and take a broken shell of what was once the Stormlands once you're done. But the Stormlands will fight. Fight you every step of the way. And there are men who have slain dragons. There are also walls that have never fallen, such as those at Storm's End. We would fight, Targaryen. Or you Targaryens can lend me your hand, and help me remove my father and my sister from the equation in such a way that no one needs to get hurt."

"I'm glad you brought that up," Aelix said amiably, hands sweeping out to take in the command tent around them; his right hand fell back to the armrest on the commander's chair and his left wrist sat on his knee as his feet swished right to left from atop the table. "Our army here, is, as you so astutely noted, not an army. We are a host. One of several, and you can be assured that even without the dragons Rhaenys, Orys and I will have no trouble smashing through at least the southern half of your fierce fighting Stormlands. We'll set up encampments, the defeated will bend the knee for the sake of their ancestral titles, and in the end Storm's End will be faced with enemies to the west and south, sea to the east, and an unforgiving North who will soon enough have their own problems to attend to. Storm's End is mighty, no one denies it, but even its walls have limits."

Aelix leaned back, studying Beric with violet eyes that betrayed nothing and a mind that was now focused solely on playing the game.

"My family - and, more specifically, me - only play games we know we can win. Your sister represents a route that's less bloody, less likely to piss on the Stormlanders, and has a little bit more to offer to my family than a trueborn's dubious claim to Storm's End and two sellsword bodyguards, who said trueborn so generously allowed to spend the night in a whorehouse. Your reign could get off to a very rocky start, Lord Goldenstag, so let me ask you something: how would I win by supporting you?"

Tyler Durden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dovydas on Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:29 pm

"Aelix," Beric spoke, addressing him, boldly, with his first name, carefully weighing his words, a glimmer of understanding playing in his eyes. "If you want me to suggest an answer to that question, answer this: what do you want to win? What is your goal?"
Dovydas
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyler Durden on Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:16 pm

IC:

"Anything and everything, for the good of my family," Aelix replied graciously, arms spreading out wide and then falling to the sides, missing the armrests deliberately and making him look like he'd run miles and miles and collapsed into the chair of command. "Aegon wants a dynasty, and it falls to his inner circle - his family, and his friend - to give it to him. I want a pretty wife and my rightful claim as Aegon's heir if he falls in battle or has no sons, and in the meantime I'll settle for the title of Prince of Dragonstone. Moreover, I love the game we're playing. I love tactics. I love strategy. I love intrigue. I love the agendas. I love defeating other people, especially the ones that deserve it. I want to play until I have no more energy to move a piece, and only then do I consider mine a life well spent."

He smiled, and it was warm and true, like he spoke rather of a favorite lover instead of political and military battle royale.

"But this isn't news. This is something most of the men here know, so now that your wasted question is out of the way, I repeat mine: how are you going to help me win my game if my family supports you?"

Tyler Durden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Visaru on Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:25 pm

The flap to the command tent blew open and a tall man with brown hair strode furiously inside. He crossed his arms over his leather armor, his sword swinging slightly at his hip.

“I assume this is a mistake.” He growled.

The noblemen’s blank faces prompted him to continue.

“I have not been chosen to join you and the Targaryen’s ‘100 best fighters’ to take the Dun Fort. It’s a mistake, I assume, since I am without a doubt your single best fighter. I’m going with you, am I not?”
Visaru

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyler Durden on Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:03 am

IC:

Two pairs of eyes met at the table, and Beric Goldenstag shrugged with hardly-concealed confusion, though Aelix saw a glimmer of relief at the interruption. He stored that away, for later - the bastard put a lot of thought into ruling the Stormlands, and there was the chance he could prove adept at it, if Argilac truly did make an ass of himself and Argella could not be won over. The young prodigy took note, however, of Beric's downhill battle, in case it needed resumption at a later date and then stood up calmly, straightening his riding gear and holding out a hand for the hotheaded fighter to take.

"We haven't had the pleasure," Aelix greeted him amiably. "Aelix Targaryen, Prince of Dragonstone. I saw you in the tent, but I can't quite remember if I ever caught your name, Ser...?"

Tyler Durden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Visaru on Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:40 am

Sevros was a bit startled by the amicable response to his informal and abrupt appearance. He blinked a couple times, and then shook Aelix's hand, a bit cautiously, but firmly.

"I'm no 'Ser'. Sevros is what they call me, if they aren't giving me some honorific title such as 'Hero', or 'Greatest Warrior'. Call me whatever you wish, but Sevros is most like to get a response."
Visaru

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyler Durden on Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:50 am

IC:

"Sevros, that's right," Aelix clucked with an easy grin, with eyes twinkling like he were trying to recall some childhood story the two shared and had slipped up on a minute detail. "As I said, I remember you from the tent, and your name met my ears a few times at the training grounds earlier tonight. There was a bit of trouble on those same grounds just hours ago, unfortunately, lost some of our warriors we'd selected to go over the top...shameful business, but there's no calling the raven back once it's over the wall."

Alas, Rhaenys hadn't yet caught word, but his earlier visit - plus her total adoration of her nephew and shared protege - would be enough to quell any real irritation about the Crackclaw lord and his sworn swords being cut down in the training grounds. Victorya's honor, her status as a Targaryen, a leader, and indeed a woman had been slighted, as had his own; how was he supposed to lead the truly loyal men if he had not so effortlessly butchered Preston Boggs and those who stood beside him?

"They call you the best in the Seven Kingdoms around the host," Aelix kept going casually, as though Sevros had not heard the honorific. "Anything more than a grain of truth to that?"

Tyler Durden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Visaru on Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:42 am

“More than a grain of truth to it?” Sevros asked reproachfully. The sellsword looked Aelix up and down in disbelief, shocked by the question. The Targaryen was playing him, he knew. That smug noble was merely toying with him and making him dance like a puppet on strings. Aelix wanted to make Sevros act shocked and a bit slighted. It probably have him some rush of power to control him like this.

And yet, Sevros didn’t care enough to stop. He couldn’t help but give Aelix the indignant response he wanted. What did it matter if Sevros bragged? The rumors were true. These little games didn’t matter- what he was discussing did. “What they call me is entirely accurate. I have never met a man I couldn’t best at swordplay, and I’ll die before I do. I am the greatest warrior in all of Westeros. That’s why I’m going with you and your little strike force. M’lord.”
Visaru

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyler Durden on Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:44 am

IC:

"Well, I'm sure you can understand my concern about that lofty title, but everything seems to be in order with you," he decided with a tugging little smile and a look at Beric, who watched the conversation coolly and said not a word. "Well, gentlemen, if that's all, then I think it'd be best if we all took our leave of each other. We have a long march ahead of us, and it's an even longer march up the Dun Fort's walls."

His smile became a grin, and he walked up to the lip of the tent and had opened up the door before he turned back, white hair shining in the night sky, blotting out the stars.

"Oh, and Sevros," he said with a smirk, "I meant no offense. I'm just trying to learn my way around the place a little. After all, I'm not from Westeros."

Then the rest of him slipped out of the tent, and began the brisk, solitary trek back to his own tent and waiting sister. When he walked back into his own quarters, his sister was sitting in the corner, staring blankly at no space in particular; her head swiveled just so against the wall of the tent to look at him and mumble a greeting. He knew that look; despite his weariness to the bone and negotiative, deliberately painful smug attitude during the preceding talks he smiled warmly and walked over to the corner, scooping Victorya up in his arms and carrying her over to the bed in the room, and not her usual cot in between marches.

"What are you doing."

"Tucking you in," Aelix replied matter-of-factly as he plopped her down in the bed and grinned stretching out his arms as he shrugged off his longcoat and unbuttoned the top button of his shirt with his teeth. "It's past your curfew."

"I'm a woman grown. You can't tell me when my curfew is."

"Yes, I know," he replied with a roll of his eyes as he shrugged his shirt off into a pile with his longcoat and tossed both onto the table across the tent. "But you're still my little sister, and it is still my job to watch out for your health just as much as it is to win our uncle's war. Sleeping on a real bed is proven to make you feel better through years of rigorous experimentation and recorded results. And I'm telling you that what's best for your health is for you to sleep, right now."

"Sleep is for the mortal." Victorya replied, only half seriously, as she remained resolutely in a sitting position.

"Well, unfortunately, I live and die as easily as any other man, so I'm going to get some sleep while I can," her brother replied, slipping under the blankets and pulling her down into his arms. "Good night, sweet sister. I love you."

Tyler Durden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Snarkily Glorious on Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:04 pm

IC:

"You too."

Came the muttered reply, as Victorya grudgingly closed her eyes, drifting off towards sleep-

-Until the bright light of morning and the din of a rising camp met her senses, causing her to groggily pull the covers over her head in an effort to block out the sun. Somehow over the night she had obtained the majority of the blankets, and she burrowed underneath them, still trying to escape the ever encroaching sun.

'someone turn off the sun."

The Snarkily Glorious

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyler Durden on Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:08 am

IC:

"Hrm?" Aelix vocalized sleepily as his eyes cracked open and turned out towards the slight opening in their tent's entrance, where rays of morning sun probed and prodded with a consistent level of near-maliciousness. He made a move to turn away and his right cheek hit a blanket that had been on his ribs just a couple hours ago, when he'd gone to sleep; in that next second the first vestiges of tactical brilliance that were firing up in his brain told him that, logically, the blankets had all been stolen last night. He had a single cover wrapped around his knees. Everything else was being used to cocoon his sister.

Fuck.

He reached out lethargically with one hand and pulled a couple blankets away from Victorya's head to wrap around his bare chest, and his sister made a cute "myraaaaaaah" sound that made him smile through the fog still clinging to his senses. The sun found her face and neck, now unprotected and with nowhere to hide, and shone there, giving her the appearance of an opal under a brook of water. That was one of the first things Aelix saw with clear eyes, as always: her, the her that she seemed to miss every time she got a glimpse of herself.

"You look really beautiful this morning," he mumbled, kissing her cheekbone and wrapping his arms around her before one last, groggy attempt to burrow his own head into the pillow and merge with it.

Tyler Durden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Snarkily Glorious on Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:20 am

IC:

"I don't look horrific, I suppose."

Came the groggy reply, as Victorya moved her arms over her eyes to try bad block out the light. "But I think beautiful might be a stretch."

The Snarkily Glorious

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyler Durden on Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:38 am

IC:

"You can't look at yourself," Aelix pointed out coyly with a smirk as his sister tried to maneuver away from the morning. "How do you know?"

Tyler Durden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Snarkily Glorious on Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:40 am

IC:

"I base these things on my usual standard of appearance. Thus, I shouldn't look horrible, but I don't look beautiful."

The Snarkily Glorious

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyler Durden on Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:44 am

IC:

"I don't know if I can really impress upon you how ridiculous and false that is."

Tyler Durden

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by The Snarkily Glorious on Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:16 am

IC:

"It's not."

The Snarkily Glorious

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tyler Durden on Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:17 am